16 with lower back pain, how do i get rid of it?

I’m a 16 year old girl and im an athlete. I play basketball, and i didnt start to get this pain in my back until christmas 2007. I dont think this pain came from playing basketball during the season, because i didnt really play much and i never fell down to the point that my back would be hurting. When i was younger, if i would stand for a long time the lower right side part of my back would start to hurt and would only go away if i sat down for a while, and i still have this problem, but it is even worse now because i have lower back pain on the right side and left side of my back. Sometimes if i stretch my back it feels like a charlie horse. At first i thought i had kidney stones, but I found out that it was just back pain. I dont know what to do. I just want to be a teenager and have fun like the old days, but its hard now that my back feels like a old womans sometimes.I wish this pain would just go away. I only feel this pain when i bend over or try to stretch my back.PLEASE HELP!
yea i told my mom about it a couple months back and she says its kidney stones and then says its nothing but a muscle but thanks everyone…im gonna
i will go to a doctor to check this out thanks
i dont have any pain running down my legs..all the pain is just in my back thanks

  1. cynical14ever, 24 May, 2010

    Start by going to your family doctor and just getting a complete physical. Ask them to refer you to an orthopedic doctor. They will probably do a series of x-rays to see if something is being pinched or if the spine is curved, bulging, or herniated. This will give them a good baseline and something to refer back to if the pain persists. The orthopedic doctor may than refer you to a physical therapist, many times by doing the correct exercises or series of exercises the muscles supporting your spine and core will strengthen and take care of the pain issues. It’s also very important to warm-up and cool-down properly before and after physical activity. You’re so young, it’s probably not the start of a big problem, you probably just injured it without even realizing it at the time. Sometimes things like the act of just sneezing can make us twist the wrong way. Is the pain running down the back of either leg at all?

  2. Dan, 24 May, 2010

    sounds like a possible muscle weakness.
    id sugget going to a professional about it.. but here are some suggestions.
    do some back exercises to strengthen your back as long as they dont hurt your back. Good one to try would be lower back hyper extensions.. go forchigher reps ie 15-20
    If u can do back exercises without pain then go for it by all means.. but if u hav pain doing them then go c a professional.. Thats the advice i would give to a client of mine as a p.t

  3. hayespoison, 24 May, 2010

    Go to a chiropractor. Or some gyms have a suspension table that you lay on, lock in your ankles and then your inverted (turned upside down). That helps to stretch out your back, and make sure everything is in place.

  4. Mari-Yana K, 24 May, 2010

    There can be zillion reasons. Please check this website: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/tools/symptom/531.html and try to indicate the pain your having. Do your parents know about your problem? They should consult with a doctor immediately.

  5. Kimby, 24 May, 2010

    Try rolling on a basketball. Lay on it and roll your back up and down it to crack it. If this doesn’t work see a chiropractor. Have you been checked for scoliosis or curved spine? They can give you exercises to straighten it. They did for me.

  6. Lucky, 24 May, 2010

    Most back pain can be prevented if you strengthen your core muscles group.. Your stomach muscles provide support for our back ,weak stomach means weak back…

  7. Kate, 24 May, 2010

    Go see a chiropractor to see if your alignment is correct, it could be as easy as getting an adjustment….

Copyright © Natural Cure For Kidney Stones